What options do I have?
In most cases, when you enroll, you will choose between these options. Use this chart to help you decide which option is right for you.
Step 1: Decide if you want
WITH MEDICARE SUPPLEMENT
Medicare Advantage Plan
LIKE AN HMO OR PPO NETWORK
PART A (HOSPITAL INSURANCE)
PART B (MEDICAL INSURANCE)
- Medicare provides this coverage.
- You have your choice of doctors, hospitals, and other providers that accept Medicare.
- Most people pay a monthly premium for Part B. In addition, you will pay deductibles for services covered under Parts A and B and pay co-insurance for all Medicare-covered services.
- IN ADDITION, YOU MAY ADD A MEDICARE SUPPLEMENT POLICY TO YOUR PART A AND B MEDICARE COVERAGE.
- These plans are offered by private insurance companies that pay all or part of the deductibles and co-insurance with predictable out-of-pocket expenses.
- If you have a Medicare Supplement policy you cannot join a Medicare Advantage Plan.
- No network restrictions, as long as the provider accepts Medicare.
PART C: INCLUDES BOTH PART A (HOSPITAL INSURANCE) & PART B (MEDICAL INSURANCE)
- Private insurance companies approved by Medicare provide this coverage.
- In most plans, you need to use approved network doctors, hospitals, and other providers or you will pay more.
- You pay a monthly premium (depending upon the plan), your Part B premium, and co-payments for covered services.
- Costs, rules, and coverage beyond what’s covered in Medicare Parts A and B will vary by plan.
- Note: If you join a Medicare Advantage Plan, you do not need to have a Medicare Supplement policy.
- Normally you will see lower monthly premium costs, but higher out-of-pocket expenses when services are rendered.
Step 2: Decide if you want Prescription Drug Coverage (Part D)
- If you want this coverage, you must choose a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan.
- These plans are run by private insurance companies approved by Medicare.
- You must pay the monthly plan premium and drug co-payments.
- Most Medicare Advantage Plans include prescription drug coverage (Part D).
- Generally, the drug premium is included in your monthly Medicare Advantage premium. You will be responsible for co-payments and any other plan costs.
Ready to begin reviewing your plan options? Get started